How often do I need to go to the dentist?
In general, we recommend that you visit our office at least once every six months for a routine dental exam and cleaning. Based on your unique dental needs, our team may recommend more frequent appointments to ensure that your smile stays healthy.
If my teeth do not hurt, do I still need to go to the dentist?
Yes, it is still important to keep up with your regular dental cleanings and exams. Most dental problems do not cause noticeable pain until they have progressed to an advanced stage; by visiting us on a regular basis, you can make certain that we detect and treat any dental problems before they cause serious pain and damage. We will also provide a professional cleaning during your appointment, which can help to prevent conditions like tooth decay and periodontal disease.
What is cosmetic dentistry, and how can it improve my smile?
Cosmetic dentistry includes a number of dental treatments designed to improve the appearance of your smile. Through cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Ken Waddell is able to correct various cosmetic dental flaws, including chipped and cracked teeth, stained and discolored teeth, gapped teeth, slightly crooked teeth, very worn teeth, and irregularly shaped teeth. To learn more about how we can enhance your smile through cosmetic dentistry, please call us today at Smiles Dental.
What can I do about stained, darkened, or discolored teeth?
We understand that your teeth may become darkened and dulled over time, and this discoloration can make you feel self-conscious about your smile’s appearance. Our dentists in Woodburn, Oregon, offer professional teeth whitening to help you restore your bright, white smile. Call us today to learn more!
How do I know if I have gum disease?
Periodontal disease, or gum disease, is a condition that affects the gum tissues. Common signs of gum disease include:
- Sore, swollen gums
- Gums that bleed easily
- Persistent bad breath or a bad taste in the mouth
- Loose teeth
- Painful chewing
- Gums that are receding, making the teeth look longer than usual
- Pus around the teeth and gums
- Gums that look redder than usual
- A change in how your teeth fit together or the spacing between teeth
If you experience these symptoms, please call our office today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ken Waddell.
Is it normal for my gums to bleed when I brush?
No, it is not normal for healthy gums to bleed when you brush your teeth. If your gums bleed easily, you may have periodontal disease. We encourage you to contact Smiles Dental to set up a visit with our skilled team.
How can I prevent bad breath?
Preventing bad breath often depends on pinpointing the cause of the problem. The following are some of the most common causes of bad breath and how to address these problems:
- Poor oral hygiene – Be sure to thoroughly brush and floss every day to keep your smile healthy and your breath fresh.
- Untreated medical problems – Several medical conditions, including dry mouth, diabetes, kidney and liver problems, and chronic sinus infections, can cause bad breath. We recommend seeing your general physician or another healthcare provider for the care you need. Once the medical problem has been treated, your breath should improve.
- Certain foods – Eating garlic, onions, and other foods can cause bad breath. Try avoiding these foods to keep your breath fresh.
- Untreated tooth decay and periodontal disease – Be certain to visit our office on a regular basis to ensure that your smile is in good health.
If you have any other questions about preventing bad breath, please feel free to ask our dentists and team during your next visit.
We invite you to contact us today at Smiles Dental with any other questions about dental care!