Plaque is a harmful substance that can destroy your smile by creating tooth decay and gum disease. This substance is tricky because it is a white, sticky film that clings to your teeth, which can make it difficult to see. This is why you need to do your best to take care of your chompers each day, even if you can’t see the plaque. So, to help you keep your smile in tip-top shape, our Smiles Dental team recommends doing the following things:
- Brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day. As you brush, please use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss the crevices of your smile at least once a day. This will help remove the plaque that lives between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth daily with mouthwash. It’s best to use a beneficial rinse, like antibacterial mouthwash, to keep the plaque away.
- Have a balanced diet and try to avoid eating sugary and carb-loaded foods.
- As you clean your smile each day, make sure you use products that have been approved by the American Dental Association. This will help you safely and effectively clean your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or once it becomes worn out. Using a worn toothbrush is never helpful.
- Visit your dentist every six months for a dental cleaning and checkup.
For more information about plaque prevention in Woodburn, Oregon, call 503.980.4657 now. Your dentist, Dr. Ken Waddell, and our team are happy to give you the information you need to better understand your oral health. The more you know, the better! So, please do not hesitate to give us a call.